“The vagueness is driving me crazy,” Quoting from their very own song Doll, let’s get to know Scandal! You perhaps are missing knowledge about this JPOP stars. Don’t miss out as Scandal will hold its world tour, SCANDAL HONEY 2018!
Who are you, Sukyandaru!
Image Source: Primetrade Asia
Scandal, also known as Sukyandaru (スキャンダル), is a four-member female band came all the way from Osaka, Japan. Forming way back August 2006 by four high school girls that plays live street performances until indie label Kitty Records took notice of Scandal and made this girls sign under them.
This four-member group are the lead vocals, but they are provided with different roles. First, Haruna Ono is in charged on vocals, rhythm guitar, and the leader of the group. Sasazaki Mami on the other hand is in charged on lead guitar. While Ogawa Tomomi choose to be the bassist as it just consist of fewer strings. Lastly, Suzuki Rina is the group’s drummer, keyboardist, guitarist and vocals.
Scandal’s name has a quite unique history. Its name originates from a sign near Studio Brotherz, a studio where they practice when they are just starting. The studio can be found on the sixth floor of a commercial building, shared with other businesses, mainly are adult shops. The girls decided to choose the biggest sign among the shops, which is the brand name they are using now.
Way back 2008, Scandal released three singles exclusive to Tower Records under the indie label Kitty Records. “Space Ranger” rose on rank #2 on the Tower indie charts. Meanwhile “Koi Moyō” and “Kagerō” rose on the no. 1 spot in charts.
October on the same year, Scandal had their major debut on Epic Records Japan with the single “Doll” that became their open door to much more opportunities that awaits to their career. Scandal was granted to have more exposure, including appearance on mainstream music television shows like Music Station.
Fun Facts about Scandal that you should know
On their rise
- There are few band names that was raised for this group including “Densha de GO!GO!” (電車でGO!GO! or GO!GO! By Train), “Peach Club” (ピーチクラブ), and “Nurse Jougakuin” (ナース女学院 or Nurse Academy), all of which were adult shops in the same building as Studio Brotherz.
- Shortly after forming, they regularly perform street lives at Shiroten (in Osaka Castle Park) and at live houses around the Kansai region.
- Studied at Caless Dance & Vocal School. Haruna and Mami attended the Nagoya branch while Tomomi and Rina were at the Osaka branch. They began learning how to play instruments at the suggestion of a teacher when the school was looking to put together an all-girl band.
- The band released their second major single “Sakura Goodbye” in March 2009 to commemorate Mami and Tomomi’s high school graduation.
Scandal, creating their big name
- BEST★SCANDAL, the group’s first studio album, debut at Number 5 on the Oricon weekly album charts in 2009, making them the first girl band since Zone to have a debut album chart at Top 5.
- It was on July 2012 on the release of their thirteenth major single, “Taiyō Scandalous”, when Scandal released their sub-units: Dobondobondo, consisting of Mami and Tomomi; and Almond Crush, consisting of Haruna and Rina.
- They became the fastest girl band to perform a solo live at the Nippon Budokan after 5 years and 7 months of formation.
- In-demand celebrity icons in magazines like Rolling Stones , B=Pass and Guita.
- Earned their first ever ＃1 spot on the Oricon Charts with their special collection album Encore Show, that reach the top of the Oricon Daily Chart on 2013.
- On 2013, Scandal performed their first solo live at Osaka-Jo Hall, their dream venue. Tickets had sold out within five minutes of going on sale.
- All of their albums, including their debut, have ranked in the top 5 of the Oricon Albums Chart. That’s the first ever record for a girl band.
- Became the first Asians to do the Windows 8 commercial and were interviewed by ABC and CNN in America.
- Gold and platinum album and single sales.
- Scandal’s 6th album Hello World is largely written by the band themselves.
- Scandal’s 7th album YELLOW is the first album that they self-produced. They wrote all of the lyrics and music in the album.
- The band has a total of eight (8) discographies.
- Best Scandal(2009)
- Temptation Box(2010)
- Baby Action (2011)
- Queens are Trumps:Kirifuda Wa Queen(2012)
- Standard (2013)
- Hello World(2014)
On the road
- Their first world tour, SCANDAL WORLD TOUR 2015 “HELLO WORLD”, which spanned from the end of January 2015 to the end of May 2015 and consisted of 41 performances in total: 31 domestic performances + 10 overseas performances. They got the chance to perform on different countries including Japan, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Taiwan, Singapore, USA, Mexico, and Hong Kong.
- Held their first arena tour, SCANDAL ARENA TOUR 2015-2016 “PERFECT WORLD”, from December 2015 to January 2016. It consisted of 4 performances in Kobe, Nagoya, and Tokyo.
- Attracts an annual audience of 150,000 in their concerts.
- This girl band celebrated their 10th anniversary on August 21, 2016, holding the SCANDAL 10th ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL “2006-2016” at Izumiotsu Phoenix in Osaka.
- Held a tour that stopped in all 47 prefectures of Japan from March to July 2017.
- Scandal is the one to provide the theme music to the animated movie, Loups=Garous. The movie’s insert song “Koshi-Tantan” was on their single “Taiyō to Kimi ga Egaku Story”. They are also provided both the opening and ending themes for the movie, appearing in their animated form during a special musical performance scene.
Scandal Live in Manila
Japan’s no. 1 female band, Scandal will finally be holding its concert in Manila for the very first time this coming June 24, 2018 at SMX Convention Center Manila! Witness Haruna, Mami, Tomomi and Rina live on their Philippine leg under the name of SCANDAL ASIA TOUR “HONEY” 2018, promoting their newest album “Honey”.