National Pharmacist Day takes place on January 12, 2018. Pharmacists, also known as chemists or druggists, are healthcare professionals who practice in pharmacy, the field of health sciences focusing on safe and effective medication use. The role of the pharmacist has shifted from the classical “lick, stick, and pour” dispensary role, to being an integrated member of the health care team directly involved in patient care.
“There’s an opportunity for the pharmacist to play a much greater role in health care, especially with what we have going on in this country with the shortage of primary-care physicians.” – Gregory Wasson
Fun Facts About Pharmacy
- Coca-Cola was invented by a pharmacist named John Pemberton. He carried the jug of the new product down the street to Jacob’s Pharmacy where it was sampled and pronounced “excellent” and placed on sale for 5 cents a glass as a soda fountain drink.
- Another pharmacist, Charles Alderton, invented Dr. Pepper. Pepsi was also invented by a pharmacist, as was Vernor’s Ginger Ale by Detroit pharmacist James Vernor.
- The first licensed pharmacist set up shop in the French Quarter. Louis Dufilho Jr. of New Orleans became American’s first licensed pharmacist in the early 1800s. Prior to then, you did not need a license to become a pharmacist.
- Before he discovered electricity, Benjamin Franklin dispensed medicine as a pharmacist. He worked as a clerk in a local mercantile store, where he dispensed medicines, herbs and other cures. Interested in health and naturally inquisitive, with the discovery of electricity he tried administering electrical shock on patients suffering with paralysis to stimulate movement. He found only temporary improvement and saw no advantage to the treatment. In the early 21st century, doctors continue to use the concept of electrical stimulation for immobile muscles.
- World Pharmacist Day is observed annually on September 25.
How to celebrate Pharmacist Day?
There are many ways on how to celebrate #PharmacistDay. One can just organize a gathering where they will give tributes to the pharmacists of their life; while other can have a food crawl to celebrate their being a pharmacist. This time let us give you a unique Pharmacist Day celebration.
Let’s go digital this time! Start a campaign to let the virtual world how thankful you are to each and every pharmacist you’ve encountered and will be encountering in your entire life. Use the hashtags #IAmAnEventurer and #PharmacistDay to widen the reach of your campaign. So, what are you waiting for?
Start that online campaign now!