Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day
It is a day to celebrate and unwind from the long hours and hard work of those whose job is to prepare taxes and the anxiety of the last minute tax filers. National Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day allows you to sleep in a little later than you normally would. Once you get up, you do not have to take the time getting dress as you are already dress for your day.
Pajamas, which were originally known as pyjamas, can trace their history back to Persia hundreds of years ago. During the 17th century, British colonists adopted this article of clothing from India and brought it to England where it became known as “Lounging attire.” Eventually, it was brought to the United States and continued to grow in popularity as the years passed.
Over the years, pajama technology has changed. For example, footed PJs were originally for adults and nightcaps were worn with pajamas during the 19th century. However, the greatest pajama improvement to happen happened in 1971. This is when the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) established regulations that set the standard for children’s sleepwear flammability.
How To Celebrate
- Wear your pajamas to work. Make sure you do inform your supervisor and your co-workers about the holiday.
- Share pictures of you in your pajamas at your office desk with family and friends.
Facts About Pajama
1. Coco Chanel introduced lounging pajamas in the 20’s and revolutionlized pajamas for women. After that, they became a totally acceptable and fashionable alternative to the traditional long nightshirt.
2. People in Africa and South Asia call their PJs “night suits”.
3. The traditional pajama set of a jacket-style shirt and pants came through Britian, but orginated from Muslims in India.
4. Before 1950, it was common for pajamas to have a drop seat to make it easy to use the the bathroom. We see this feature on our Flapjacks as a novelty, but who knew it was a regular thing?
5. In Japan, it’s totally acceptable to wear a set of silk PJs out in the day or evening!
6. The World’s Largest Footed Pajama Party was held in Austin, Texas on March 11, 2012 where 309 adults were dressed in their footies and broke the Guiness World record.